This course will be conducted as an online course!
Goal of the course
The AO Trauma Masters Course—Foot and Ankle covers the current concepts and techniques on how to recognize, characterize and treat complex injuries and deformities of the foot and ankle.
Specialized orthopedic surgeons interested in advancing their expertise in the management of foot and ankle injuries and pathological conditions. Participants must have completed the AOTrauma Advanced Principles of Fracture Management Course. Participants must be willing to share their ideas and be able to communicate well in English.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
· Correctly identify and treat ankle fractures and associated soft tissue injuries
· Conduct appropriate investigations for a preoperative plan of fracture fixation
· Identify, prevent and treat complications associated with ankle fractures and fracture dislocation
· Describe principles of soft-tissue handling in severe open fractures
· Explain the indications to fibula fixation in the emergency setting
· List the benefits and objectives of transarticular external fixation
· Review talar blood supply
· Recognize the differences between central and peripheral talar fractures. Plan a correct image investigation
· Identify the various patterns of calcaneal fractures and their peculiarities
· Explain the anatomy of the fracture lines
· Recognize the wide variability of Lisfranc and Chopart injuries
· Review the mechanisms of trauma and their consequences
· Identify Lisfranc and Chopart ligamentous and osseous injuries in x-rays
· Discuss advantages and disadvantages of nonoperative and operative (open & percutaneous) treatment of acute Achilles tendon ruptures
· Review nonoperative treatment of chronic Achilles tendinopathy
· Explain different options of Achilles surgical reconstruction in chronic Achilles tendinopathy
Surgeons participating in this course will concentrate on the application of surgical planning and advanced techniques in the management of complex foot and ankle injuries and deformities. The course is taught in a modular format.
· This is an online course to discuss foot and ankle disorders.
. Registration will be opened for a limited number of participants.
. The course duration is three days, 4 hours for each day.
. The course consists of three modules; Trauma module, Deformity module and Sports injury module.
. Each module consists of two sessions.
· Each session is two hours long for online lectures, online Q&A and online small groups discussions.
· Participants will receive assessment tests after each session.
· Participants will receive CME certificates after completion of all assessment tests and the post-course feedback
A minimum of 80% attendance is required to obtain the course certificate!