This course is aimed at the very experienced, mature surgeon who is willing to share and express his/her experiences with other participants and specialists in the field. Past experience in the field of musculoskeletal and hand trauma is mandatory. Course details are listed below:
- Hand and wrist
- Complications and complex fractures and their sequelas
The course includes open group discussions that are led by experts in the field providing an overview of current subject knowledge. Personal preferences will be expressed and treatment methods for particular problems presented and discussed.
Goal of the course
AOTrauma Masters Course teaches current concepts and understanding at a high level for experienced learners in musculoskeletal hand trauma. The latest techniques in operative fracture management dealing with complex orthopedic hand and wrist trauma are presented. Best evidence is presented with cases in this course. Participants taking this course will have many years of personal experience in orthopedic trauma surgery with special focus on hand surgery.
Participants should have completed the AOTrauma Courses—Basic Principles and Advanced Principles in Operative Fracture Management and must have a thorough knowledge of hand anatomy and surgical techniques. Participants must be actively involved in trauma management and preferably in surgical care of hand trauma.
Participants are welcome to send suggestions for topics to be covered in this course to the organizers. Please have a look at the detailed program to see whether there are any areas missing that you would like to see covered in the program. In order to make the course a valuable learning experience, English knowledge is a prerequisite.
At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Describe, apply, and practice the principles of internal fixation and surgical treatment of selected hand and wrist injuries
- Demonstrate an understand preoperative decision-making and the indications and contraindications of those decisions
- Identify and summarize the advantages and disadvantages of different fixation techniques
- Describe the postoperative treatment and common soft-tissue problems
- List the common complications of injury and treatment and discuss their prevention and management
- Relate the principles and techniques of treatment to personal clinical experience